Friday, August 26, 2011

How I see it: Dog Sense

Since June, I've been doing my daily duty in the gym each morning. 6:30am hits, and the drill sergeant whistles in the form of my alarm clock going off. Rattled by the ringing in my ears, I stumble out of bed and fifteen minutes later, I am stepping onto the elliptical machine.

I am not one of those rare breeds who lives to exercise, but at my age (prefer not to disclose, because I feel old just saying the number) the lbs. start creeping up. Before you realize it, you're in the TJ Maxx dressing room, mouthing "What? How is this size even possible...it's double the size I wore in high school. Am I reading this tag right?" Short of needing a pair of drugstore readers, you know it's time to hit the gym and hit it hard.

So, I'm present and accounted for by 6:45ish, plodding away on my elliptical. Instead of discretely watching the clock every two minutes, which somehow seems to make the big hand magically travel backwards, I watch the news. Even though I've lost a ridiculously miniscule amount of weight this summer, I have become more informed about what's going on in the world. That's worth getting up with the drill sergeant every morning, right?

On Monday, I was watching the news when I heard a story that grabbed me. It was about the Navy SEAL, Jon Tumilson's, funeral. Sad as it was to hear about this heroic soldier's end, even more touching was the story of his dog, Hawkeye. Hawkeye led the processional of funeral attendees into the hall, and then proceeded to plant himself under Tumilson's casket. He sprawled under it during the entire funeral service.

I'm not even a dog owner (I've already potty-trained five kids---enough said), but my eyes were tearing so badly I nearly fell off my elliptical. What a loyal friend! What wouldn't each of us give for a friend of Hawkeye's caliber?

In a related story, I heard on the radio about a dog residing in a local retirement home. Somehow, this dog had an uncanny sixth sense about when someone was about to pass. He would hop into bed, and sleep with the patient all night, giving that extra little reassurance when the end drew near. In the morning, the staff would find the dog lying there and the lifeless body next to him.

Fortunately, according to the newscaster, many of the patients were suffering from dementia and had a hard time telling their roommate, Bessie, from their daughter, Barbara. Admittedly, it would be a little unnerving, for a lucid patient, if Rover picked your bed for a doggie nap one night. Most of us would be tempted to do some heart-to-heart deathbed repenting, just in case.

Call it simple dog sense, but it's not to be taken lightly. These canine companions are more than dog chow and tennis balls. The are loving, health-giving, loyal-to-the-end gifts. They teach us through example about the best of humanity.

And, that's how I see it...


The dog has been esteemed and loved by all the people on earth and he has deserved this affection for he renders services that have made him man's best friend."
---Alfred Barbou

No comments:

Post a Comment